Saturday, June 10, 2006

A Day with the Mau Ori

Kia Ori!

Above you is the traditional greeting of the Mai Ori people, the true natives of New Zealand, with whom I have spent the past two days. You have to understand that New Zealanders (who call themselves Kiwis) are very proud of thei Mau Orian history or else none of this might make any sense.

After getting off the plane and saying bye to Anna (:-p), we traveled from Aukland to a place called the Waitomo (water in the hole) caves where we got onto a boat and travled deep into the caverns. We came to a spot that was pitch black and were told that it wo0uld be like this the entire rest of the way but not to be worried because there would be natural light. I looked up and saw thousands and thousands of glow worms. They lit the rest of the way and kinda looked light a big stained glass window. I tried to take a picture but was yelled at... so I took a picture without them knowing and it didnt even work one bit. Oh well...

The rest of the afternoon was empty until dinner where we were treated to a traditional Mau Ori feast. Lamb, clamb, sweet potato, fish, venicine, rice, chicken, pork. Yes... all of that and more on one plate. After the dinner the Mau Ori community put on a tribal show where they displayed their dances and songs of their people. Naturally, given the opportunity, I joined in and went on stage. That night I crashed into bed at 9... about 5 hours earlier than I usually do.

Woke up and had breakfast at 730 where I had Vegemite which is just as bad as I had heard it was. Turns out they make it with the yeast thats too bad to get into beer. Nasty. We then traveled to the Mau Ori cultural center (absolutly boring), but on the other side of the center was a geyser park. The geysers were boiling sulpher and reeked or rotten eggs but were very pretty to look at. I have pictures but our hotel does not allow us to upload them so you'll hjave to wait to see them. We then went to lunch.

At lunch, we had the chance to take a Luge ride - so take it I did. A luge is a sled that you sit in and twist and turn all down the side of a mountain. A great rush! I flipped once on th beginners course and became filthy but got up and tackled the other course with ease. Won the race both times! Woot!

On the way back to the hotel we passed a building over the water. We were told that inside the building was a statue of Jesus that looks as if He is standing on the water as He did in the Bible. However, Jesus is depicted to be Mau Ori. We got back to the hotel and went swimming in the hot pool and then ran around in the cold (dont forget its winter here). Im now waiting for dinner.

I leave Rotorua in the morning for Aukland. I wont tell you what Im doing there because I want it to be a surprise but let me just say I'll have a new experience to write about. I hope all of you are all doing well. We all miss you. Oh! By the way! We are the only highschoolers on this trip. The rest are really old. So far, thats the only set back. Ask me abvout Huunga when I come back home! I have to show you that Cat!

Gotta go watch some Rugby. THe All Blacks are playing Ireland.

God loves you!
Bill <><

P.S. I saw a kiwi bird. They are huge! Like the size of a coconut!

Quote: "Pukana! I want to eat your flesh!" - Mau Ori

9 Comments:

At 2:34 AM, Blogger Dad said...

Well, you have done some things that I have never done. I have wanted to luge, but never had the chance. I do not care if I never have a vegemite!

Interesting about Jesus looking like a Mau Ori. In Macon there is a home for adults who have various mental disabilities that need a safe place to live. Most of them have Down's Syndrome. There is a chapel on the grounds of the facility that has a beautiful mural painted of Jesus with the children. Jesus is painted with the simple but loving face of one who has Downs Syndrome. It is really quite lovely.

The whole point of Jesus is that God came to be like us. In a wonderful way, he is able to relate to us all because we are his children made in his image.

I am glad you are having a great time. See if you can get some of those old people to buy your excursion tickets! That might be an interesting excercise!

I love you.

Dad

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Catherine Ann said...

Bill, you are one crazy kid. Ali and I read this together and could not stop laughing at you. I really cannot wait to see the pictures from this trip. Did any of the worms fall on you? Cuz that would be gross...
That food sounds good. I know you were happy to have a big meal. And I know that you are so excited to luge. It has always been something you talked about. I can see you now racing down the mountian with a huge smile on your face.
I know God has a great plan for you and has assembled this group for a purpose. I hope that He shines through you and everything you do. Be careful and never lose faith. I miss you so very much.
Tonight is the first GP since you have been gone. It just won't be the same without you. At least your favorite speaker won't be here; so I guess you won't be missing too much.
Put those pictures up as soon as you can!!!! I want to see what you are doing soooo bad. I am so excited to see whats going on-not just read about it. I am so glad that you are keeping up with your blog so we can see how you are.
I miss you a lot and I will pray for you tonight at the GP. Tell everyone we miss them and it isn't the same here without ya'll. I send my love. Love, you baby sister. :)
ps Did you get Anna's number? :D
you think you are a pimp...you think wrong. just kidding.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

Hey Bill!
I'm so glad you're having such a wonderful time on your trip.

Wright says, "Whats up?"
Translation, "I love you and miss you and hope all is going well."
(Thats what I gathered from it, anyway :)

I'm enjoying reading your blog entries and can't wait to see your pics.

Have fun and be safe
We love you
Jenn & Wright

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Catherine Ann said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Catherine Ann said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger ann said...

Hey Honey,
I'm really missing you today!I'm so glad you are having fun !
How cold is it over there ? I guess the mother in me needs to know if you are safe,getting enough to eat and are warm? It was so hot here we couldn't go outside.
WE have a busy week. I take your car tomorrow to get it fixed. It is going to cost over $1500.00 . I'm glad we aren't paying for it. We have game night Tuesday. It want be the same w/o you but we will try to survive. Pirates meeting is here Wed. we tried to switch it but couldn't.
Keep writing as often as you can it brightens up my day.
I love you with all my heart ,
mama

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger ann said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger heather+nicole said...

Well it sounds like you are already having a great time! I am glad! Your day sounds very interesting! I hope it truly was! Well I practiced my special music tonight I was so nervous though because it was in front of just 10 people, but after that I became a little more comfortable, because Kim and I practiced it at least 4 times! But Kim and Couper reminded me it isn't about the audience out there that i can't see past the second row but the Audience of One, so that was a little but more reassurance that was greatly appreciated! I hope you are doing well and having fun!
God Bless! <><
Heather Nicole

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger heather+nicole said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home